In our clinic, we are constantly working not only to improve the quality but also the safety of treatment for our patients, so the introduction of BIS monitoring for dental treatment of patients in a state of medication sleep (under general anesthesia) in our clinic was an absolutely natural move.
What is BIS monitoring?
BIS monitoring uses a special device that monitors the depth of medication sleep (sedation) and drugs administration which support sedation, and measures, calculates and displays the value of the bispectral index.
The bispectral index (BIS) is a parameter that estimates the direct measurement of the effect of general anesthesia and brain sedation during anesthesia or medication sleep. It is calculated on the basis of continuously recorded EEG (electroencephalography).
How is it measured?
- a sensor is installed on the patient’s forehead, with which the EEG is recorded;
- The BIS-system processes the incoming signal and calculates the BIS-index (number from 0 to 100), which allows to estimate the degree of consciousness of the patient;
- A BIS index value of 100 means that the patient is fully conscious;
- A BIS index value of 0 means no brain activity
BIS-monitoring provides much greater comfort for the patient and his complete safety of stay in the medication sleep (under general anesthesia). This, in its own way, is an exclusive option in dental practice, and at the moment “Dubnova’s Clinic “STOMATOLOGiYa” is the first dental clinic in Kiev where this technique is used.
How is BIS monitoring useful to the patient?
- Provides confidence in the safety of sedation (general anesthesia) since the doctor-anaesthesiologist can completely exclude the possibility of premature awakening and pain during the procedures, which is especially important for our young patients conducting dental treatment in a state of medication sleep.
- Allows to approach the necessary depth of medication sleep, tailoring a smaller amount of the drug, and improving the patient’s outcome from sedation (general anesthesia).
- As the number of drugs used for general anesthesia of the patient decreases several times, this reduces the risk of allergic reactions.
- Monitoring also allows the doctor to prevent the patient’s awareness of the treatment process or discomfort that the patient may experience.
The purpose of the monitoring is the safety and comfort of the patient during sedation (general anesthesia), and we are happy to provide you with all the resources for a comfortable and painless dental treatment in our clinic.
Interesting to know!
In the US, BIS monitoring is used in more than 66% of all operating rooms and more than 86% of clinical hospitals across the country. In Western Europe, thousands of BIS monitors are installed. In particular, in Switzerland, BIS-monitoring is used in almost all clinics that have operating rooms. Over 100,000 BIS-monitoring procedures are held there annually. In the US and many other countries, the use of BIS-monitoring is recommended by the associations of anesthesiologists. In Spain, Australia and New Zealand, BIS-monitoring is included in the standard of intraoperative anesthesia monitoring.
BIS-monitoring does not use external sonic driving, therefore it is applicable for small children, for patients with hearing loss, for controlling sedation with intensive therapy and for performing painful procedures.